Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Back in the Saddle

Hello, world! I’m back in the bloggerverse with a new blog. I’m super excited to start blogging again. It’s been something I keep intending to do, but somehow I couldn't get myself to sit down and do it. I was finally inspired to start again after meeting two new friends at the SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) conference. Both of these friends have blogs. I immediately thought: why am I not doing this too? So, ta-da! Here I am.
My new friends Yamile and Bekah

The SCBWI conference was incredible. I've been writing children’s picture books for less than a year now and I've felt completely alone. I’m not part of a writing critique group and until recently, no one else had read anything I wrote. Talk about going from 0 to 60 fast. I was suddenly surrounded by people who knew exactly what I was doing and what I've been going through with writing. No need to explain anything. And everyone I met was so friendly and warm and generous.

I got some amazing ideas for revising and editing my work, I learned how to talk to publishing professionals, and I got some insight into building stories out of art, etc. The keynote speakers were phenomenal and told motivational stories about their writing careers and gave some great advice. I heard Judy Blume (yes, the Judy Blume!), Tomie dePaola, Judy Schachner, Linda Sue Park, and Peter Brown, just to name a few.
              
Me and the great Judy Schachner!

On a side note, it turns out I’m apparently kind of a fan girl. After Judy Schachner’s awesome keynote, I saw her walking around the hotel where the conference was held. She walked past me and I froze and gasped and covered my mouth and whispered loudly, “That was Judy Schachner!!” On the last day of the conference, I actually got to meet her and talk to her for a minute while she autographed a book for me.

On the second day of the conference, I received my first rejection letter in the mail. It came at the perfect time because I was surrounded by people who have probably all gotten at least one rejection letter. My new friends understood exactly how I was feeling and that was really comforting.

The conference made me feel like I’m part of a community. Children’s book writers are smart, warm, funny, quirky people. I fit right in and felt an immediate sense of belonging.

What I’m reading: As usual I’m reading too many books at the same time. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough, Private Life by Jane Smiley, and The Care and Management of Lies by Jacqueline Winspear.        

1 comment: